Sunday, April 19, 2009

Decisions, Decisions

So the big conversation at my house this weekend was hardwood floors. To do or not to do. Well, I think the "to do" has been decided. Now, it's "which ones to do." I know with 2 young children, laminate is the practical way to go. Hands down. Cheaper, more durable, easier installation, yada yada yada. We know that real hardwood is pretty much out of the question for a multitude of reasons. We have a concrete slab and real hardwood is best installed with nails. It way pricier and much less forgiving with wear and tear. We are leaning towards engineered hardwood. It's basically made up of layers of real wood which makes it more durable than solid hardwood but still not as much so as laminate. The problem is we can NOT, for the life of us, find a finish we like in laminate. Anywhere...


I expected a battle when I first pointed out the finishes I was drawn to. I really expected to Jose to laugh and snarl his face and point my happy self back to the oak finishes. But, my wonderful husband surprised me once again. He agreed with me. We are definitely leaning towards very dark wood. Not black, but close. Deep, deep, dark brown. It's surprisingly hard to find. But, oh, how I love how it looks. And one thing I have learned that I will pass on to anyone considering hardwood floors. BRING HOME THE SAMPLE! There were ones we just knew we would love, but after getting it home, seeing it with our lighting, our paint and our furniture, it became obvious that it, in fact, did not work. Turns out, the one we were both the most skeptical about is now our front runner.


So now I have decided we need to first paint our living room. With our medium neutral couches, dark wood armoire and dark bookshelves (which are about to become darker when I make my next trip to Ikea. I already have my replacement shelves picked out!) I just think our dark red walls would be overkill. So I need advice. (If I had my druthers, I'd have white or off white solid couches. I lurve that look!) I think we are much more limited with furnishings and curtains with our red walls. When we first painted, it was kind of act of rebellion. It was our first home to own after 8 years of being renters. I always said when I owned a home, my living room would be red. And it has been for 4 1/2 years now and I think I am over it. I'll try to get some good photos and post them soon. I love seeing people's living spaces.
Here are the couches I am currently lusting after. They are pretty affordable, too. But given the fact that our living room furniture (sofa and loveseat) are only about 18 months old, I don't see it changing right away. I can justify the white since they are actually slip covers and are machine washable. What do you think?
I'd love some opinions. And since my cousin's wife reads this and she is an interior designer, I'm hoping for some free advice. (Love you Laney!) She has seen my house and I know she has amazing taste. Too bad she lives so far away. I totally need her to shop for paint with me. Any advice from anyone for painting over red walls? I've heard tinted primer is our best bet. But most of all, any advice of getting a husband who works 50+ hours a week and has a long commute and who gets up every morning at 4:30 am then comes home and actually helps with the kids to agree to repaint a red living room?!?! How about buy new furniture? I am open to suggestions!
My current dream sofa...

11 comments:

Christy said...

Personally I'd go with a more nutral wall color, beige, light brown or maybe even a subtle blue, since you'll have so much dark you don't want to drown in it all. You could then have beautiful accents in any color you wanted (red,etc) with curtains, pillows, throws, art work, etc.

Of course I live in military housing where we are limited to what colors we're allowed to paint (pastels and beige..).

Have fun!

Frugal Jen said...

Good choice on the engineered hardwood. It looks great and is more affordable.

We chose a leather couch and it's so durable. Lots of spills and it still looks great.

I look forward to watching your living room transormation. I love room redo's.

Stephanie said...

Oh my goodness I love that couch but would never ever in a million years try it with kids! :) Tinted primer is definitely the way to go and I love dark furniture so the finish you've decided on for the floors sounds great..if only you could find it now,huh? What about a buttercup color for the walls kinda.?? I don't know I always think it's fun looking for paint..my living room is a green but it's a warmer green and i'm doing my kitchen a warm yellow/buttercup/honey color. Can't wait to see what you decide!

Sarah Robbins said...

I recognize that couch from Ikea! Maybe you could find a seamstress to make a white slipcover for the couch that you already have? Or just have it recovered? It might be cheaper than a new couch. . .

I agree that the red walls would probably be overkill with your new color scheme. I love dark wood, too, though! We have lots of it and it goes really well with a neutral color scheme. I can't wait to see you pictures!

Bethany said...

I love the look of very dark hardwood (or engineered wood ;)) against lighter walls and cabinetry! I wish I had some great ideas on where to find the flooring :(.
Practically, I think choosing a white slip cover rather than purchasing a new white couch will be your best bet. A slip cover can be cleaned a lot easier than than a couch and the sights I've seen of people with light colored couches and young children... grubby to say the least. I'd think you would rather spend the money you'd save from just getting a slip cover on updating other things. :)

Anonymous said...

You are nuts to want a white sofa with two kids. It is beautiful, but more suited to DINKS (Double Income No Kids). Otherwise, you'll love the hardwood/laminate floors.

Uncle Wes

The Lovebugs said...

Ohhhh...this post speaks my language! Thanks for the shout out...you know I am here for you even if you are far away! Hello...I have paint books for just about every manufacturer, so we can coordinate even miles away. Just ask Momma Carole - I love giving my two cents in emails or over the phone and I can go to the places you are looking and "look with you."

Ok...so...hardwoods versus laminate. That's a whole conversation. Email me or call me and we'll talk. I am a hardwood kind of gal. I love God's creation of such a beautiful, earthly thing. It's more expensive, but you get what you pay for. Engineered..it's good, but remember it's a VENEER on top of particle-type board.

White sofa--not for me. EVERY little fuzz or crumb will be visible. Think about this. You will drive yourself NUTS if you try to keep it clean and crisp. It’s only for magazines…or as Wes says, DINKS. I haven’t seen your new furniture, but take a picture. We may can fix your changes with some pillows and draperies!

Regarding the red wall…I love red. I have it in my kitchen. Yes, it’s dark, but it’s all about what you put around it. If you are leaning towards dark floors (totally my taste too!) and dark shelving, then yes, probably a good idea to lighten the walls up. However, if you can’t get that red out of you..keep an accent wall – or, here we go..back to pillows, draperies and artwork.

It will come together. You have great ideas! I have seen your house – it’s beautiful! Let’s talk more..please call me anytime or shoot me an email. Pictures would help. I am always here…and I will always be your personal designer ;)

Love you so much!

Nicolle said...

I'm jealous about your new floors. We really want to put hardwood in a couple of rooms, but we can't afford it right now. I hate our carpet with a passion!

I love the couch, but I know white would be destroyed in like a week. Even though I clean all the time, it would just attract everything.

Put up pics of your house. I love seeing other people's living spaces too! Sometimes I wish I could knock on people's doors and ask if I can come in just to look around!

Chris said...

First things first--you need pictures on here! :) It would help with the advice, for sure. About my furniture...it isn't white, but it is a light beige. If I could do the removable slipcovers, I don't think I'd be too scared of white. However, it would be a lot of work. I have my couch and loveseat professionally cleaned once a year (or two!), and they hold up VERY well. I, of course, spot clean as needed.

The walls...my husband hates red, so that was never an option for me. Personally, it's just too dark for my taste. I love neutrals. If I could have my whole house be white, I would. If you're going with the dark floors, and you've got dark furniture, I really think a more neutral color would be better. If it's red you love, simple throw in some red pillows, a big red ottoman to double as storage, or a red throw blanket. I think pops of color are much more of a statement.

Keep in mind, this is just my opinion. If you want red walls, red carpet, and white furniture, go for it! It's your house. Good luck, and I look forward to seeing some pictures of your decisions!

beth said...

Oh, how I love white sofas! I really, really want one, but I also want a house that says "come in, relax, put your feet up", and I am afraid that if I had a white couch, our family and visitors to our house would be afraid to sit on it. But they are beautiful, arent' they?
Have you tried Lumber Liquidators for hardwood floors? Their prices are great, and they have tons of choices. As far as the dark wood goes, consider that dark wood is going to show lots of dirt.If you have light colored animals, all of their hair is going to show up on the floor. Just something to consider.
I was the same way about painting our new house when we first moved in. We had been renting for a couple years, and when we bought our new house, I wanted color! Now, I am going lighter with all the paint on the walls. Our living room is a light grey-blue color, and everything looks great against it.
Good luck with all of your decisions. And just have fun, and do what you love and will make you and your family happy!

Julie Seabury said...

I have that exact Ikea Ektorp sofa! LOVE IT! It is in my living room, not my family room, so it isn't used constantly - but it really wears great. The slip cover is easy to take off and wash AND I get so many complements on it. Everyone likes it, and wants it, but are afraid to do it themselves. Anyhow - I love mine!