Monday, January 19, 2009

The Joy of Showers

Before I had kids, showers were something that I did to get clean. I mean, sure, sometimes they were completely relaxing, but more often than not, they were a hurried chore on my list of things to do in a day. I'm not going to say I didn't enjoy them. My favorite thing after being out in the cold was to climb into a hot shower and stand there until I looked like a lobster. (Seriously, the nozzle cannot go any further toward the "H" when I am in there. I've tried. )

But now, they are my mini vacations. It is literally my favorite part of the day. Is that bad for a mother to say? I look forward to my nightly shower like a kid getting ready for Christmas. I actually plan for it. It's not just the shower. The whole process leading up to it. It's my 30-minute escape from the rest of the house. And I LOVE it. I lock the door to the bedroom and pick out either a gossip magazine, a photography book, or my personal favorite right now, Chelsea Handler's book My Horizontal Life (Hysterical, I must say) and sit on the edge of the tub and allow myself a few minutes to read something that has nothing to do with diapers, potty training, formula or discipline. And I LOVE it. Then I take my time analyzing my eyebrows or my neglected roots or fingernails or something. I usually at this point notice how desperately I need to tan, but I never do anything about it.

Then I step into my sanctuary. I do all my best thinking in the shower. I have made many decisions, many plans and many resolutions in that shower. I've let a lot of things that are weighing on me go in that shower. I've planned many vacations, redecorated my house, started craft projects, had conversations, and made all kinds of life changes, big and small, in that shower. Amazing what a little peace and quiet can do.

I'm a new person after that 30 minutes to myself. Not only do I smell better, I feel better. Physically and emotionally. The hot water does wonders for the aching muscles from carrying around a baby and toddler all day. And the solitude does wonders for my mental health after being with a baby and toddler all day. I love them all the more after my shower. It's a wonderful, albeit very fast 30 minutes. But, I LOVE it!

1 comments:

Nicolle said...

I hear you 100%!!!

When Boyd was smaller and I could put him in his bouncy and take a bubble bath in the middle of the day - I was in heaven! I felt so relaxed and energized.