Tuesday, January 13, 2009

And the hits just keep on coming

Olivia has pneumonia. I have to say I was shocked when I got the diagnosis. Her cough had been getting worse even after we took her to the doctor when she got the RSV diagnosis. I took her back yesterday and he said he heard a few crackles in her lungs so he sent her for a chest xray. Well, let me back up. He also said she had an ear infection so he wanted to give her an antibiotic shot. When he started mentioning the chest xray, my worry and profound lack of sleep got the better of me and I proceeded to pack her up and head next door to the radiology place. Once I had signed in and sat down in a distant corner with my now screaming 6 week old, I remembered the shot. Yep, I left without having her get it. So I called the office and was told the nurse had been looking for me. They told me I could return for it after the xray. Which I did... over 2 hours later!

And can I just say this? Please, if you are out somewhere and see a poor, desperate mother struggling with a screaming baby in one hand while contorting her arm to hold a bottle, all the while balancing a clip board with "necessary" paperwork with her knees while using her "free" hand to rummage through a disorganized diaper bag and locate a wallet with her insurance card and you see her drop said diaper bag spilling it's contents into the floor, please do not step over the mess while walking to the bathroom only to "politely" ask how old the baby is upon your return. Thank you for your cooperation.

Oh, and letting a door go in her face while she is carrying an infant in carseat isn't well received either.

But, I digress...

By the time I got home from the doctor's office, her pediatrician had called. (He is seriously the sweetest man.) He said she had a small area of pneumonia on the left side behind her heart. I had to take her back in today. But seriously, last night was rough. And the car ride this morning was worse. Her coughing fits were so bad, I honestly thought I would have to pull off the freeway and at one point seriously considered calling an ambulance because she simply could not catch her breath. Scary, to say the least.

But, her doctor assured me that she is doing better today. He said her color looks better (You mean it wasn't good yesterday??) and her lungs sound better. He seems to think that continuing all the first aid type things we have been doing will keep her comfortable and we should start to see improvement after today. I certainly hope so.

3 comments:

Nicolle said...

That is so scary - pneumonia!! I am so sorry. I hope she gets better soon. I know as a mom how you must feel.

I had a similar experience when Boyd was tiny and our washer broke. I had to use the laundromat and you'd think I was an alien or something. No one would help me, they just all stared.

bb said...

OMG! I hope she gets better soon and then you have a nice long stretch with no worries, no illness, and lots of easy nights with tons of sleep.

Anonymous said...

Oh no! You poor mommy...sick children isn't fun I know :( We are so sorry, Staci. I wish I was there to help you out...I would do it in a heartbeat. We are thinking of you all and love you so much.

Bill and Delaney