Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Second Child Syndrome



They say that by the time the second child comes along, you will take far fewer photographs. This is not the case in my house. While I easily have literally thousands of photos of Sofia, there are just as many, if not more, of Olivia. Simply because I need the practice! Well, that's not entirely true. I mean, she is gorgeous and bonus... she will stay still. Though, I am not sure now much longer that will be true.
She does, however, suffer one major side effect of Second Child Syndrome. I am doing an absolutely horrible job and noting anything in her baby book. I think I may have written down her measurements at 2 months of age, but honestly, that was probably the last time. I know I looked in Sofia's baby book recently because I wanted to compare their sizes at 6 months. (Sofia weighed more, by the way.) But, I never got Olivia's out. Part of the problem is our house is still in complete and utter disarray after having the floors installed. Olivia's poor room never really got finished to start with and then we just added insult to injury when we redid the living room by piling more junk in there. Good thing she only sleeps there these days.
So, more for myself that anything else, I am making a few notes here. At 6 months, they weighed Olivia at 17 pounds 11 ounces and measured her at 26" long, though I know this was a mistake because I could see how crooked she was when she was laying on the table. She got 3 shots and cried her little heart out. Sofia even cried. She hated seeing her sister so upset. She ended up with a pretty ugly fever for the next couple of days. Jose and I have really started to wonder about what we will do with her next round of shots. I never thought I would be a mom that would consider delaying vaccines. I used to work as a nurse in a pediatric office and I would roll my eyes at parents that questioned the immunization schedule or demanded vaccines that were preservative free or declined them altogether. We are not prepared to go that far, but we are considering spreading them out a bit more or at least seeing what preservative free options we have. We are still thinking and talking about it.
Back to the girly... She rolled for the first time officially on April 30. Back to front. And she's been a rolling fool ever since. And she tried her first veggie just yesterday. (We waited because Jose was going to take the girls out of town last weekend, but Olivia and Sofia were both still sick.) She tried squash and I kind of think she liked the taste, she was just having trouble with whole concept of a spoon. We are working on it. Tonight we tried peas but they didn't go over as well.
She is smiling constantly. She is seriously one happy baby. Unless of course she is sick. She was like a different baby last week with the fever. No smiles, no laughter, no babbling. It was so sad. By Sunday, we could see our happy baby coming back and thankfully she's been her old self ever since.
Enjoy the new photos! I think it was the first time I picked up my camera in almost a month!

3 comments:

Stephanie said...

I am the exact opposite. Although I have taken tons of pics of Allie I took very few when my oldest were babies. I have some but not the thousands and thousands I have now.

I am glad Olivia is feeling better and the pictures are gorgeous as always!

I'm interested to hear what you learn about preservative free vaccines...I haven't heard of those before.

Jill said...

I just caught up reading the blog. Happy Anniversary! Also our whole family just got over the horrible virus too. It was yuck! And I did spread Hollyn's shots out until she turned a year old. I am now thinking I want to spread the next ones out too. I learned I do have to trust God with the outcome, but I also thought spreading them out wasn't so hard on her little system at that time. Your pictures are always so great and of course the subjects are total beauties!

Nicolle said...

Those are beautiful photos! She is starting to really look like her big sister, I think!

We have spread out Boyd's vaccines. We thought that so many at one visit was just too much. We have never let him get all of the recommended ones at one given visit, but he is up to date. I dread tomorrow. He goes for a checkup and is due for the MMR shot. We are delaying that one for sure, maybe for a year or more. I hope his doctor doesn't give us a fight. I'm so anxious about it already. I know he's my child, but I just have a feeling she'll give me her two cents. The gov't can say all they want that they are safe, but we have to do what we feel is best, as parents.

Hope you're doing well! :)