Thursday, September 27, 2012

This House

This house has been our home for 8 years. It was our first home that we owned. After being renters for 8 years, we had this house built in 2004. We picked every tile, the brick, the paint, the location. Everything. We've painted more times than I can count. Furniture has come and gone. Countertops and floors have changed. This house changed with us.

It was perfect for us when we bought it. Four bedrooms for just the two of us. We'd made peace with the fact that we weren't going to have kids and this house would plenty big.

...And then Sofia came along.

This house got a little smaller. Suddenly, there wasn't as much extra space. But, if was still our house. The house we brought her home to.

...And then Olivia came along.

This house became much smaller. The guest room became her room. The office became a playroom. (As well as almost every room!) There's no more room to grow.

Not that this family is growing. Oh, no. But our "stuff" seems to grow by the day.

This house, regardless of the size, will always be home. We grew as a couple here. Settled here. Brought our babies home here. Built a life here.

This house is our home.

This house, our home, is now for sale.

2 comments:

Dina said...

Oh Wow! I hope it sells quickly and you find the house of your dreams!

Nicolle said...

That is so bittersweet. I hope it sells fast, and you find the home of your dreams. I remember moving from our apartment to this house, and it felt so huge, and now our house feels tiny.

ps. I left a comment above, but the comment moderation things wouldn't let me post, I think. Anyway, sorry I spaced out and never entered your giveaway. Maybe next time?!
:)