Monday, January 3, 2011

An Update (ish)

It's hard to know where to start when there's so little to tell.

I went for my rather uneventful neuro consult last week. The doctor was very intelligent as far as I could tell but had a personality less than zero. I understand now why her reviews were good for clinical expertise but not so stellar on bedside manner.

Long story, short. She took everything I said at face value and took lots of notes. She had me walk and did a few strength tests. Basically what I was left with is she doesn't know. The symptoms definitely lean towards MS but the MRI made it a little less clear. The lesions that showed up are in a location not as typical with MS. So she basically said she can't rule it out. Can't rule it in. When I asked what other possibilities it could be, she didn't have an answer. I wanted to scream. It seemed like she was saying it's either MS or it's nothing. That's asinine. It's most definitely something. The symptoms really heightened over the past couple of weeks. (thankfully the past 2-3 days I've felt better than I have in 6 weeks.)

She said she wanted a repeat MRI this time with contrast to get a more detailed look. If we see more lesions, it makes the diagnosis of MS a bit easier but will still be followed up by a spinal tap. Sounds fun, doesn't it? If the MRI is negative or inconclusive, I still have to get a spinal tap regardless. Lucky me.

I left more confused than when I went in. So now I wait on a phone call to let me know when the MRI is set up. Wait, wait, wait...

3 comments:

Melanie said...

I was hoping that you would have an answer! Praying that you get one soon.

I got your text yesterday. I had left my phone in the bonus room charging for about 3 days straight:)

The Lovebugs said...

Arghh..that is frustrating! I hope that this other MRI will reveal more so that the doctors can give you a definite diagnosis...without the spinal tap ;) Love you.

SZM said...

Oh gosh....waiting is the hardest part! Adding you to my prayer intention right now!