So, to follow up from my last post. Let me take you to the beginning.
About 2 1/2 weeks ago, I was absolutely certain I was having appendicitis. On a Sunday afternoon, I went into the ER with severe right sided pain and nausea. After some work up and pain meds, it was decided it was not my appendix but an ovarian cyst. I've had those plenty of times. I knew this pain was different. The er doc was concerned there could be some torsion (ovary turning on itself cutting off the blood supply) so he contacted my ob/gyn who decided to admit me to their hospital. So, riding in an ambulance is now checked off my bucket list.
I arrived downtown near 1 am. During the next day, I had more tests (the most painful sono of my life) where the sono tech told me she saw absolutely zero blood flow to my right ovary. I went back to my room and waited, fairly sure I'd be heading to surgery.
That afternoon my doc came in and decided to send me home. I was a little shocked. He told me to follow up within the week.
I returned to his office that Friday
In just as much as pain as I'd been in. I'll spare you the details of some of the unpleasant exchanges but I left feeling upset and blown off.
They sent me to see one of his partners the following Monday. 8 days from when this all began. Another horrendous sono and very little info. 2 more days waiting for a phone call. When the call finally came they told me I'd need surgery the following week.
So, 2 1/2 weeks after the pain began, I had surgery. Just yesterday. My right ovary was so badly damaged and the cyst was so big, my ovary had, in fact, twisted and could not be saved. He also found some endometriosis. I'm thankful to have it done but frustrated that the process took so long.
While in recovery there were some scary moments. My blood pressure dropped very low (70s/30s) and my heart rate was in the 40s. The nurse told me after it improved a little that she could move the crash cart away from my door. They'd put it just outside my door because they were that concerned. They had to page anesthesia who ordered an ekg to verify there was no cardiac issue. Thankfully it was normal. Funny how they're quick to tell you how scared they were once it's all over. They had us check my BP at home with instructions to return to the ER of things went south. So far, so good.
I'm recovering at home. Sore and tired. Taking a lot of naps and being lazy.
Thankfully I have one fully functioning ovary so I don't have to take hormones. I'm ready to get past this and back to enjoying fall!


0 comments:
Post a Comment