Friday, October 2, 2009

We're a statistic

The flu has officially bombarded our house. We were hoping to escape it's wrath, but we haven't been so lucky.

Sofia went to school yesterday, happy as a little clam and feeling well. She had a great day without any signs of impending illness. But, by night, the fever hit. And it hit hard. It climbed to about 102 before her meds kicked in. She was completely congested, lethargic, complained of a sore throat and had no appetite. I took her in to the pediatrician today and sure enough... the flu. She had her dose of the flumist exactly one week ago. It appears be the nasty H1N1 virus that is all over the news. Luckily, we caught it early and she has started the antivirals as well as prophylactic antibiotics since she has asthma and a history of bronchitis and pneumonia. Thankfully, her lungs sounded clear today. I think she may get out of this pretty easy.

Our biggest obstacle will be keeping her from Olivia. She adores her and can't stand the idea of not being able to kiss her. She did pretty well today, but I think we have already gone through a half a bottle on hand sanitizer! Looks like a weekend in the house for us. At least in shifts. I may have to sneak out tomorrow and go to Hobby Lobby. The fall decorating bug has bitten me. Jose is getting his tires rotated in the morning. That's a man's equivalent to shopping, right? It's supposed to be rainy weekend anyway, so staying in may be a good idea anyway.

3 comments:

Nicolle said...

I hope she gets well soon! The flu is everywhere, and so miserable! Boyd is sick right now, but just a bad cold. I am hoping tonight is better. We've had no sleep for the last 3 nights.

Tracy said...

hope she gets better soon. its hard to see your kids sick!

The Lovebugs said...

OH goodness! I hope Sofia gets better soon and that sweet Olivia doesn't get it! Thinking about you all. Love you.